Monday, July 27, 2015

Simple Solutions For Busy Days



Some days I feel very enthusiastic about trying a new recipe and some days I just don't have the time or energy. Today was one of those days where I needed to keep it simple.
A couple months ago, this would have been one of those days where I asked my husband to run through a drive thru to pick us up some takeout.  While we still like to eat out on the weekends, I try to keep our meals as clean as possible during the week.  Even "healthy" choices at restaurants sometimes contain all the sodium you need for entire day.
The great thing about all these recipes?  You can easily customize the portions!  Whether you are cooking for yourself or a family, these meals will work!
Breakfast 
This is one of my favorite breakfasts.  I cringe when I think about how many years I skipped this meal! Even when you don't have a lot of time, you can pull the whole thing together start to finish in less than 10 minutes.  Best of all, this isn't going to spike your blood sugar and leave you ready to crash like a muffin or breakfast pastry would.
Scrambled Eggs Sprinkled With Cheddar Cheese and Sautéed Baby Kale
Lunch
For lunch, I had some left over veggie stir fry I made to use up produce I had in the fridge.  I didn't take a picture, but it was broccoli, cabbage, onions and cauliflower tossed with quinoa.
Dinner
Dinner was as easy as boiling water and using the salad spinner.
Trader Joes has a delicious quinoa and brown rice pasta that is gluten free.  This pasta is so filling and doesn't leave you with that heavy, overly full feeling that traditional pasta causes.
The sauce is a store bought sauce with lower sodium.
The salad was my favorite part.  Delicate baby kale leaves, tangy grape tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese and a hemp seeds.
If you haven't tried hemp seeds, this is a great way to incorporate some additional protein in your diet.
A gorgeous salad like this shouldn't be covered up in salad dressing that's been sitting on a grocery store shelf for who knows how long.
Trust me, once you start making your own salad dressings, there is no going back.
It's. Just. Too. Good.
My new favorite salad dressing is the Greek Dressing from the cookbook Everyday Detox.  This was also a big hit with my father in law on Fathers Day weekend.
6 tbsp Olive Oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves of fresh garlic
1 tsp oregano
Pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and process until smooth.
What are your favorite, easy meals to prepare on busy days?  Share your ideas below!

No comments:

Post a Comment