Monday, July 6, 2015

My Story and Journey

It's easy to make excuses for ourselves.  It's easy to say, well, this isn't that bad for me, or tomorrow I'm going to make an effort to be healthier.  It's easy to mindlessly fall into bad eating habits.  It's easy to be in denial.
It tastes good.
It's more convenient.
It's what everyone is doing at social gatherings.
Then it all catches up to you.
For me, the moment I could no longer live in denial came on a Saturday, in a dressing room.  At 5 months postpartum with my second child, I hadn't "bounced back" like I expected too.  I was looking for a dress.  I grabbed the size I assumed I was only to discover it no where close to fit.  Hmmm.....maybe the sizing is just off on this brand or style.  That wasn't the case.  The reality was, I hadn't been exercising and I hadn't been eating healthy.  I wanted to cry.  I was mad at myself.  I put all the dresses back on the racks. I wasn't going to try a size bigger because I had already made up in my mind that a big change was coming.
That Monday, I broke out my old South Beach Diet book.  I had followed this plan a few years before and had great success but I didn't stay on the wagon for one reason or another.  I planned out my meals, made the shopping list and prepared myself for the hard road ahead.
Since I was nursing a 5 month old and I knew that totally cutting out carbs would not be the best idea for my milk supply, I did allow myself to have some fruits.  I also began taking the Mothers Milk supplement to make sure I didn't have a decrease in my milk supply.
I'm not sure if it was simply my stubborn determination, but the first two weeks of my new eating habits were not as stressful as I expected.  At the end of phase 1, I had lost 10 pounds.  I was ecstatic. I was motivated.
I wasn't where I was two weeks prior in that dressing room.
I fell in love with the clean eating concept. I love making meals with fresh ingredients for my family.
I am very strict during the week, but do allow myself to live in the real world on the weekends.  You may catch me at the Mexican restaurant having some chips and salsa, but I don't go overboard.  I have realized that the term "cheat" meal is essentially a "set you back" meal.
IMG_4811[1]I
I'm happy to say that 4 months later, I am down 20 pounds.  I haven't seen this weight and size in years!  Most importantly, the term "diet" doesn't describe how I live.  I've changed my eating habits. I no longer say, oh, I can't have that right now because I'm on a "diet."
I hope that some of my recipes will inspire you to make healthy changes in your own life.
Your diet is 80% of the equation and fitness/exercise is 20%.
This blog is my accountability.  For the past 8 years, I have yo-yo dieted and allowed myself to fall back into those habits. I haven't made exercise a priority. That isn't happening again.  Ever.
Do you struggle with falling back into bad habits?
What are some ways that you stay accountable to your goal?
What healthy eating habits have worked for you and keep you on track?
If you haven't taken that first step, what's holding you back from making a change?

No comments:

Post a Comment